Finding your "Happy Place"

So it's been two years since I've been to my "Happy Place".  Now don't get me wrong it's not that I'm an unhappy guy.  I have a good life and a great family.  There are many things that make me happy.  Anything from a giggle to a hug from any of my five granddaughters makes me happy.  A cruise in my 66 with the top down and the deep rumble coming from the side-pipes makes me happy.  Sitting on the porch and hearing nothing but the call of a mourning dove in the morning or a bull frog breaking the evening quiet these all make me happy.

However; when it comes to going to my "Happy Place" there really only one place that does it for me and that place is Captiva/Sanibel.  It's been two years since we've been here so this trip will be like catching up with an old friend.

For those of you that know what it's like to find your "Happy Place" congratulations.  For those of you who don't the best way I can describe it is like the feeling you get when you take a deep breath and exhale slowly. Feels good don't it!

This year its just Carol, me, and the two oldest granddaughters.  When they are down here they are affectionately known as the "Beach Angels". Lexi has been coming to paradise with us since 2004.  Hard to believe next year she will be a freshman in high school.  Wow!

I know she will probably soon out grow going on trips with NaNa and PaPa but I have no doubt she will never grow tired of this place.

This trip will be a little different we usually rent a house on Captiva but this year we're trying a condo on Sanibel.  Sand Pointe is a 45 unit complex off of West Gulf Drive.  We are beach front so with a front row seat to the gulf and the constant breeze from the ocean I'm sure i feel a good stretch of lazy coming on.

Last time we were down here Taylor our other Beach Angel found a rare shell for down here, an Imperial Venus.  Can't wait to go exploring with her and seeing what she comes up with this year.

First order of business once we're at the condo is make sure there are no loose floor mats laying around!  We don't want any sprained ankles or trips to urgent care this year.  We will have to go to CVS though because last time we were down Carol twisted her ankle on the floor mat at the front door where we were staying.  Because her foot swelled up so much she got a pair of flip flops at CVS.  She loves those flip flops so much she has to go back for another pair!  Flip Flops yes, Sprained ankles NO!

We arrived on Saturday afternoon.  The trip most of the way down was clear, but as we got closer to paradise the skies darken and we we're in for a rainy afternoon in southwest Florida.  I did learn a new breakfast combination this year.  On Saturday morning when we leave Valdosta GA its usually a mad dash to paradise so we don't stop for breakfast.  Taylor's breakfast of champions on Saturday morning is powdered donuts, SlimJims and Chocolate milk. Yum!

After the floor mat check we're off for a quick trip for groceries and dinner at Doc Fords. Then a visit with an old friend as we check out the beach for the first time this trip. The skies were cloudy so no beautiful sunset this evening.  The sunsets this year will not be as spectacular as we are use to when we stay on Captiva.  Where we are staying on Sanibel this year the island faces pretty much South.  Captiva has more of a Western exposure.  The water was cool and we leave the beach as the daylight dwindles with hopes for a better day on Sunday.  Apparently last week was pretty much a rain event so were praying to the beach gods that this week will improve and provide us with some much desired vitamin D.

Stay tune more adventures and pictures to come! 

Comments

Shelllady said…
Hey RC, sorry I'm late....I have been having computer issues and just today saw your post on my blog!! I'm here now, and will find a way to stay with you while you are there! Hopefully my ipad will let me see your posts, if I can't get the laptop fixed!! So glad you are back and I so look forward to your posts! I have missed them!!
RC said…
Glad you could join us. I have not been very disciplined lately not sure what the blog will be like this year. Seems like time flies by to fast.
Kim@Snug Harbor said…
I'm so happy CHeri let me know you're back on Sanibel and posting. I haven't been there in 2 years myself and my daughter and I were just talking about how much we miss it.

Popular posts from this blog

In the Blink of an Eye

Some Beach

A Special Shell

Superman & Tweety Bird

Merica Road Trippin! Chapter 2 "On The Road Again"

Soccer PaPa

Branson by the Ocean a.k.a. Gulf Shores Alabama

The Sequel-Day 3

Exploration beyond the beach

Merica Road Trippin Chapter 4 Heaven's Peak