In the Blink of an Eye

It's been a rough week this week.  While I generally keep my blog on the lighter side.  My words come from my head, but my desire to write comes from my heart.  My heart this week has felt both pain and Joy some of which I'll share with you today.

On Monday Nov. 20th I'm on the mends from a rough couple of days on what looks like could be a precursory strike from a future Kidney Stone.  Spent a couple of days on pain meds, telling myself I'm not going to the ER.  Carol's been battling the crud and been coughing a lot for the past week. 

We get a visit from Kristine, our daughter (technically Daughter-in law) but we adopted here years ago when she moved down here from Oregon to carve out a life with our son Ryan.  In her selfless manner, she's here to deliver a spare nebulizer to her Missouri mom, who's been fighting the crud.  Why? Because that's just who she is. She didn't visit for long, and we shared a few passing comments about her not wanting to pick up any of the germs we had to offer today.

In the Blink of an eye, she's here and then heading back to town.  Carol sits down and does the breathing treatment Within 20 minutes the phone rings, and we get the dreaded news that Kristine has been in an accident.

In a rush, we're dressed, out the door and on our way to be by her side In the Blink of an Eye.  Emotions are high, we know not what to expect.  Her Missouri Mom is upsets and begins to blame herself for being sick and Kristine making the trip out here just for her. I tell her she can't do that.  See I know this Missouri Mom well.  She's the glue in the Hapke Clan, she's always out there putting others first especially when it comes to family. 

We arrive at the scene as I expected, it's at a dreaded portion of the highway that travels through the upper half of Meramec State Park. There's a line of cars backed up as the road is closed.  We leave the truck where we stopped and sprint towards the scene like two older athletics in the Senior Olympics.  Missouri Mom well in the lead! Coming around the curve, we can see only the truck and no other vehicles. While still worried, I'm somewhat relieved by the fact that it's a one vehicle accident.  This is a winding section of road, and It's very common to see cars cross the centerline in the blink of an eye.  Head on accidents on this road tend not to fair well.

Missouri Mom is met by a Franklin County Deputy.  Kristine is already out of the vehicle and in the ambulance.  In the blink of an eye they are taking her to local hospital in town, but her injuries would require her to be transported to St. Louis.

At this moment, our hearts are both joyful and sad.  Joyful in the fact to know she survived the impact, and sad in knowing she is hurt.  At this point, nothing moves in the Blink of an Eye.  

From first responders diagnosing injuries to decision being made on what to do for treatment.  The healing and recovery process will be slow and painful.    

She tells her Missouri Mom that she felt the back wheels begin to slip away on the wet pavement, but doesn't remember much after that. I have heard from several people that have been in serious accidents and a reoccurring theme is that period in time, that Blink of an Eye where they don't remember what happen.

Is this perhaps a moment of Divine Intervention?  The time when Jesus takes the wheel or an Angel joins you in the cab of the truck?  The period when your fate is decided will you go or will you stay?

In our case, our Heart is filled with Joy in the fact that God grants her a second chance.  As My son posted the other night, he wanted to “Thank God for not taking her from the kids and him too soon.”

As I travel down Life's highway, I'm still learning Life lessons they can present themselves to us in the Blink of an Eye.  I picked up an important one this week.

We are very fortunate this week that we get a second chance. Kristine in the fact that she is still here to continue her work as a Mother, Wife, Sister, Daughter and us in the fact that we still get the chance to let her know how much we love her.

Many of us will be spending the next few days with family and friends, giving thanks to the Lord for the bounty in which we will partake.

I would encourage you all to take the time to share an extra hug or tell that person sitting next to you at Thanksgiving table how much you appreciate and love them.  You may not be fortunate to get a second chance because we all know how things can and will change in the Blink of An Eye.






    

 

Comments

JimBob said…
Great post Rob in spite of the circumstances! As you said, life can change in the blink of an eye! We are also thankful that Kristine will eventually heal and be the Mom, wife, sister and daughter we’ve always loved!
Robyn Taylor said…
Such beautiful words as usual Uncle Rob, this one sent tears down my cheek again as the words of Rachelle and Ryan did yesterday. You such a nak to have a gift for writing that paints a picture to see things through your eyes as if I was there with you all. I love you all and will continue to keep praying for everyone, I love you all so much!
Very nice Rob. I read this to my family today. I have also reached out to Ryan about staying at my place if needed. Im right down the road from Barnes. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Nathan Cartwright and family
Shelllady said…
A great post RC! So true, thoughtful AND thought provoking!! I’m glad she will be well & I hope you and Missouri Mom will be soon also!! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family… this comes with a virtual hug to you all!!

Popular posts from this blog

A Special Shell

Sand Dollars, Starfish, Stingrays and Sandy Sanibel

Merica Road Trippin Chapter 5 "America the Beautiful"

Some of today's "BS"

The Sequel-Day4

Exploration beyond the beach

Superman & Tweety Bird

Boogie Board Beach Angels

Some Beach