Help Wanted in Paradise!

 

Help Wanted

As we made our way down here it's been really eye opening to see how Covid has impacted our economy.  We normally stop in Paducah KY at an IHOP just off I-24 for a quick breakfast.  The restaurant is usually open at 5:00 a.m.  This year they were not open yet as we went through. Reason, not enough staff.  It seems like everywhere we stopped along the way there were always "Help Wanted" signs.

When we got into Sanibel on Saturday we decided we were going to eat healthy this week so we stopped at Cheeburger, Cheeburger for lunch. By the way I did have a veggie burger! Sanibel is back open at full capacity but half of the tables at Cheeburger were not seating customers.  Reason, not enough staff.  Also noticed numerous empty shops where the business owners apparently went out of business.  Sad to see. One thing is for sure if you want to work there are jobs out there.  I'm counting down the months to retirement but maybe I'll get a part-time job after retirement.  Think there are any openings for a part-time Beach Bum?  I do have a little experience.😎

Proof of Experience!

The first couple of days on the beach were breezy but warm.  The Beach Angels would have loved catching some waves on the boogie boards.
If I only knew how to boogie


It was so windy you had to really keep things tied down.  I saved the day for a runaway innertube that was making its way down the beach.  It was rolling with its owner lagging about 20 yards behind.  I saw it and sprung into action. Like a superhero I jumped up from my resting position and promptly tripped over the guide rope that holds our canopy poles.  
I was literally flying through the air but I did manage to get the tube and a big round of applause from the people up the beach.  Not sure if it was because I caught the tube or because of my genuine display of athletic skills. 


This is what you stick near the rope to remind you its there

We did find a new restaurant to try this year.  "The Clam Shack" food was good but they talk kind of funny.  I had a "Lobstahh" roll.  They had "chowdahh" and "Steamahs" on the menu.  Pretty sure those folks aren't from around here. Another sign of the post Covid economy was a sign on the door that said "Sorry but due to limited availability of seafood from New England we will have to charge you more".  Still worth the price.



The Clam Shack on Sanibel

Shell hunting this week not so hot but I have found some really rare one of a kind shells.
My shell collection so far


These will be going to some grandkids when we get back

So a few years ago when we were here with the Beach Angels they were finding some painted rocks.  This year it looks like its now painted shells.

Here's the one I hope to find(not painted).  After all these years I've only found a piece of one.

On Monday Carol and I got in a fishing derby.  Wish I had some pictures of our catch but the camera was back on the beach and fishing was too good to go in and get it.  We were out doing our usual bobbing on the boogie board when a school of glass minnows decided to invade our space.  They were jumping out of the water and jumping onto the boards.  So it wasn't long and the competition was on.  We had to capture them in hand to get credit.  Final score Rob 4 Carol 3.  I win🐟
You know it must be hard being a little fish in a big ocean and not knowing whether jaws is going to swallow you from below or some Osprey is going to pluck you out of the water and take you home to meet the kids.


Kids, tonight were having fish!

Some random shots from my little shutterbug
 

Sunset on Captiva



 
Evening ritual







Comments

Shelllady said…
Sounds like your Beach Therapy went well!!

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Mike,Mike,Mike Hump Days are not allowed on vacation!

Finding your "Happy Place"

Welcome to Marathon

Boogie Board Beach Angels

Soccer PaPa

Superman & Tweety Bird

In the Blink of an Eye

Some Beach

Don't choke the Chicken in Key West

Ticket to paradise