Shin-Zen-Bi

The Bonsai represents the three virtues or Shin-Zen-Bi, which translate into truth, goodness and beauty.

Saturday was our last day on the island.  We ventured out on another field trip.  This time to North Fort Myers area to check out Wigert's Bonsai Nursery.

Not sure if I should call it a Hobby, Obsession, or Passion but I am a koi keeper.  My current pond has been up for around 4years now.  I have kept Koi for around 17 years.


Our Koi Pond



The gang

I  have also always been fascinated with Bonsai.  I feel like the link between the Japanese art of Bonsai and keeping koi are so closely related that many Koi keepers also have a natural tendency to be drawn to the art.

Since we were down in the Fort Myers area for the week I decided to check out Wigert's Bonsai nursery and maybe scratch this itch I have for Bonsai.

This place didn't disappoint

This was a very eye opening experience and to be fully appreciated taking a camera along is a must.  As many of us Koi Keepers have learned along the way there's so much more to keeping Koi than putting some fish in a tank and adding water.  I would say the same is true for Bonsai as well.  Its not just about placing a plant in a pot and watching it grow.  It truly is an art form and you are the artist.

Wigert's also has a koi pond and they sell fish at the nursery as well.  This blog however will be focused on the art of Bonsai.

Wigert's koi pond


Since I know next to nothing about keeping Bonsai I was Hungry for information. Ashley and John are two employees at Wigert's right away I noticed the passion for the art of Bonsai from these two.  You don't often get to work in a job where you have a true passion for what you are doing.  These two are all in.  They not only take care of the Bonsai at Wigert's but they also have personal plants at home where they continue to practice the art of Bonsai.  When they talk to you about a plant you can see they are already formulating a vision for the plant.  In the world of Bonsai as the artist you are creating the end result and only limited by your own creativity. 

John at work defoliating a Bonsai

Bonsai is an art of illusion.  You create an illusion of age, weight and mass.  You are basically simulating the appearance of a fully mature tree but in a miniature form.  The folks a Wigert's are masterful at creating this simulation.  They have over 150 Bonsai trees in their private collection and stock available already potted in Bonsai pots or Pre-Bonsai stock for creating your own work of art. 


They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  I will let these pictures do the talking.












 













We spent well over 2 hours in total amazement of what Wigerts has created here.  The beauty of the operation and the abundance and willingness to share knowledge of Bonsai was very enjoyable.

Should you get the chance and you are in the Fort Myers area I encourage you to experience it for yourself.

I did scratch the itch. I now have two projects to start with.  I'm sure I will make some mistakes along the way.  I know when it comes to keeping Koi I have made a few but without Risk there can be No Reward!


Tiger bark Ficus




Pixie Bougainvella

So  the Bonsai price point is alot like collecting Koi.  You can spend less dollars kind of like buying Tosai and see what comes of it or you can buy a collectible specimen that is the equivalent of high end show koi from Japan.  It seems like the Do it yourselfer in me always drives me towards the Tosai.

What ever your desire the folks a Wigert's can surely fulfill your itch as well.  You can contact them at https://www.wigertsbonsai.com/  



Comments

Shelllady said…
I have always loved Bonsai....we lived in Japan 1970-72 and I remember seeing them everywhere! I'm sure its super expensive to find one here...I might have to check this place out on our next trip!!!
Shelllady said…
Glad to find your blog again!!! Stay safe & Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, Carol and the "Angels"...

Popular posts from this blog

A Special Shell

Sand Dollars, Starfish, Stingrays and Sandy Sanibel

Merica Road Trippin Chapter 5 "America the Beautiful"

In the Blink of an Eye

Some of today's "BS"

Merica Road Trippin! Chapter 2 "On The Road Again"

The Sequel-Day4

Superman & Tweety Bird

Boogie Board Beach Angels

Branson by the Ocean a.k.a. Gulf Shores Alabama