The girls out number the boy 2 to 1 in this family. As retirement has officially kicked in, we'll share some thoughts, memories, and life's lessons along the way. As we travel down Lifes Highway!
Dolphins anyone??
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Fun with Flipper and the gang off the coast of Sanibel Enjoy
So today, my family and I got some terrible news, a close friend of ours passed away overnight. Our family is of course devastated by this. My blog has generally been about trips and experiences down life's highway. Mostly about the good times and trips we have spent with family. Occasionally I'll share a few life lessons I've learned along the way. I'm typically not an outspoken person, but the blog allows me to convey what comes from my heart, and my heart is compelled to share this one with you. Let's start off with a little about faith and me. My parents sent me to church. We didn't go as a family unit. I went with a neighbor. Dad was typically not feeling well on Sunday mornings after spending most of his day and night on Saturday at the local bar. I know he believed in god, but there were also demons that chased him through life. In his later years the alcohol and smoking took a toll on his body, he'd sp...
So I really didn't think I would write much in the blog during this trip. Normally, the Beach Angels and other guests supply the comic relief while they are here, and while Rachelle and Beach Angel "Skylar" are here for a few days, it has been realtively quiet, and we have just been chillin. You know, during my working career, I spent time as a line worker, A mechanic, a Supervisor, a Middle Manager, and a Packaging Engineer. I was also a Director f or Lean Manufacturing. During those years, I learned a lot about how the progression of things worked. We were always aware of the fact that SH**t rolls down hill and you had to always be ready to adapt and overcome the adversities of said Sh**t that were sometimes made by upper-level management that really had no idea what was happening on the shop floor. I learned today that sometimes Sh**T travels uphill; in fact, it sometimes backs up. Case in point, the house we are spending the lovely month of June here o...
Happy 7/11/11. Hope your lucky today. I know I am after all I'm here. Have I told you lately how much I love this place? Probably not I'm not the mushy type but I do! Today the Director and The exec. producer got out for breakfast while the rest of the cast spent time at home base doing some pre-soaking in the pool before we logged in another day at the beach. My favorite breakfast on the Island has to be the Hungry Fisherman at the Lighthouse Cafe. After breakfast a quick stop By Tropical wines but they were not open yet and the Director was getting itchy to get back to the beach. I've been waiting over a year now to try their Watermelon wine and I'm gonna get some this year. Just hope I don't have to break the window out of the place or pick the lock to do it. JK! (seems like they're always closed when I stop by. The Beach angels had a major breakthrough this year they actually managed to wrangle one of those Lizards they b...
OK! Its time to blow the dust off this blog and get ready to share our next adventures in Paradise. In my book Paradise is Captiva/Sanibel Florida. A place where we call our home every one-two years for a week away from the daily grind. I'm drawn to Captiva so that is where we set up our home base for the week. We also seem to zero in on Laika Lane. We have stayed at several of the houses on Laika lane over the years and this one will be no different. This one is a Cutie! Our group this year will be the usual suspects. My granddaughters, the beach angels. My daughter, wife and a new rookie to Sanibel/Captiva my daughter's boyfriend. So the truck is washed, waxed and ready to load. Its become somewhat of a ritual to put a coat of wax on before the trip. Some say its because I want to have a nice looking vehicle to start off on the trip. In reality it makes it easier to clean all the love bugs and other unfortunate insects...
Life's Highway can lead us down many paths. Concrete, blacktop, gravel, dirt roads and sometimes no road at all. That's the case for our adventure today. We take a Two and one quarter-hour boat ride 70 miles west of Key West to Dry Tortuga National Park. I wouldn't consider myself a history buff, but this place had me in total awe. We recently bought the Senior Lifetime National Park Pass and this is officially our first stop using the pass. It did not disappoint. There is no way the pictures I will post here can really reveal the true beauty of this area. The blues and turquoise water were breathtaking and sitting in the middle of this natural beauty 70 miles off the coast from Key West sits Fort Jefferson on Garden Key. Fort Jefferson is the largest brick and mortar building in the Americas. Some 16 million bricks were used to build the fort. The bricks came from Maine and Pensacola. Can you imagine the challenge of getting ...
One of our Beach Angels "Taylor" had a rare find while on Captiva this year. She found an Imperial Venus shell! Thanks to "Shellady" for confirming the find. "Taylor" A.K.A Beach Angel Imperial Venus 2015 You might remember the story I told you all awhile back about Taylor's fascination at a younge age with collecting rocks. To most of us just plain old rocks. She would collect them from around my Koi pond, NaNa's garden or sometimes maybe in the middle of a gravel parking lot. ...
So it's been awhile since I've posted. My co-pilot and I recently took a trip to the great state of Kentucky to visit an American Icon. Bowling Green was our destination. Some of you might call this a Bucket list trip, but I would prefer to look at it like just another adventure down Life's highway. The whole bucket list idea has such a finality to it, and I'm not ready to kick any buckets anytime soon. With retirement mode fully engaged, the only thing that stands in our way is ourselves. Is it being middle-aged crazy to think that I should take this trip in my corvette, or maybe rent a new one? In today's world, what is considered middle-aged? I already know what crazy is, I see it every day when I turn on the TV or open my phone, and I know that's not me! My car will turn 60 years old in February of next year. The car's age factor doesn't bother me for making this trip, but there are things to consider, like Number 1- My co-pilot's hair...
$6 for a ticket to paradise. I'll take it. Sanibel Causeway Price for admission $6 We're here! Great trip down we actually arrived earlier than we normally would and we even made a stop in Sarasota to pick up a new water camera. On day one we stopped in Valdosta Ga. We got a text from our daughter she was surprised we made it there as quickly as we did then she politely ask us to let her out of the trunk! I know she really wanted to come but a new job this year meant no trip for her and the Beach Angels. I'm sure we will torture her all week long with text and pictures. We'll put this new camera through the paces this week and hope that it holds up better than the Fujifilm one did. It bit the dust while we were vacationing down here a couple years ago. I really wanted to get a Panasonic Lumix T5 but it was impossible to find it without ordering it on-line and we waited too long and didn't think we could get it delivered...
The first step is being able to admit your addiction. "I'm RC and I'm addicted to paradise". While I'll be the first to admit paradise was not as good to me this year as she has been in years past. She is still of course paradise and who can resist her sweet temptation. I don't think we will make the trip again during a holiday weekend. The crowds were much larger than we are use to and well I guess I'm spoiled and I like having Paradise all to my self. I can now imagine what it must be like during peak season when paradise has many suitors. She can't please them all and hey she doesn't have to she's paradise. My addiction with her began many years ago and there is no 12 step program that can release you from the grips of paradise. You'll accept whatever she throws at you because you just want to be with her. It does't matter if her seas are rough or her sunsets are few as long as you can be with her its all you long for. ...
Time, no matter how much we will it to change, it's the one thing in life that is constant. We watch it pass us day by day. Sometimes it feels like time is something we are loosing. I sit here today watching my firstborn grandchild transition into adulthood. I feel like it was only yesterday I held her in my arms for the first time. I was there for Baby Einstein, Barbies, and Dora the Explorer. Then there were sled rides, Power Wheels, Go karts and more. From Crayons and Cartoons to Cars and Cosmetics, wait time, you've gone too fast. You were my first original Beach Angel, and I still remember our time experiencing the beach together. I watched you run and chase the surf with squeals of excitement, I watched the fading sunset shimmer through your long curly hair as you looked out towards the ocean in amazement at the vast world that was before you. I was there when you showed your sister the beach for the first time, your little hands gra...
Comments