A Special Shell

Yesterday evening we had one on the lowest tide we were able to catch this week.   I walked the surf at the shoreline to see if there were any shells. I was able to find a few but the shells have not been plentiful this week.  We actually collected more at Barefoot Beach the other day than we have here all week.

As I was walking along I began remembering some of the times on the beach with the Beach Angels.  The younger one "Taylor" taught me a life's lesson that I would like to share with you.

Taylor especially when she was smaller was always amazed with collecting rocks.  It was nothing to dump out a pocketful of rocks that she had collected from around PaPa's Koi pond or in NaNa's garden.  They were nothing special they were just rocks.

Naturally when we began bringing Taylor to Captiva where the beach is full of shells as far as the eye can see. She did what most of us do down here she began collecting shells.

Taylor's shells were cracked, faded, had holes in them.  They were just pieces of what were once shells.  While we laughed and tossed those broken shells aside.  Taylor kept hers because they were special to her.

As I walked through the surf looking for shells.  I thought about the lesson offered in Taylor's actions.

Most of us look at people the way we collect shells.  We are always trying to find that perfect one or we search for that rare one that nobody else has.  If we would only take the time to admire the beauty from within how much better off would this world be. There was something that drew you to pick up that imperfect shell to begin with.  Thank you Taylor.

38 years ago today someone took a chance on a somewhat less than perfect shell.  I certainly wasn't perfect then.  While like a fine wine I would like to think I have improved with age.  I know I'm still far from perfect.

Together we have created a few shells and collected a few more in our life together.  None of them perfect but all of them very special in our Life.

I leave you with a question for the day.  If you were a shell what kind of shell would you be.

Happy anniversary babe.

I would be a King's crown,  I got my rough points :)

Comments

I am not sure what kind of shell I would be Uncle Rob, but I know I am sure far from polished smooth or perfect, so if you find me let me know. What I do know is, I love you guy's very much,,,Happy Anniversary!

P.S. Can't wait to read more of your blogs!!!
Shelllady said…
What an awesome post!!

Hmmm let me think....I think I would be a fighting conch.....quiet, hidden until you keep messing with me, then I come out swingin'!!! Also very determined to keep moving and going!!

Love this post and Happy Happy Anniversary, I hope you two have a wonderful time!
Kim@Snug Harbor said…
Happy anniversary. Great post!!

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Marathon

Sand Dollars, Starfish, Stingrays and Sandy Sanibel

Merica Road Trippin Chapter 5 "America the Beautiful"

Superman & Tweety Bird

Soccer PaPa

"The Sequel"-Day2

The Sequel-Day4

Hey Mike,Mike,Mike Hump Days are not allowed on vacation!

Boogie Board Beach Angels